« Home | Frustration mounts... » | Day 66: it went well » | Days 64 and 65: He committed suicide... and other... » | Day 63: Outing - and the bus driver from HELL!!!! » | Days 61 and 62: Go Diego, Go!!! » | Day 60: When size really matters » | Day 59: Fiascos and triumphs - all in day's work » | Day 58: Cooking class: how to insert backbone into... » | Day 57- part 2: Abracadabra - I want to reach out... » | Day 57 - part 1 : The illusion » 

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 

Days 67 & 68: Understanding by teaching

I was a little concerned about the technology class I had to teach today (3 times to 3 different groups) because I am stepping out of my comfort zone and into a studied-a-long-time-ago-mumbo-jumbo unfamiliar zone. Case in point, I had to explain the intricacies of magnetism and electromagnetism.

I have never had much (well, let's be honest, ANY!) interest in electricity and its related topics. I married an electrical engineer, figuring any and all future electrical needs could be taken care of by his truly. (well, he has other interesting features as well - but none that can be mentioned here).

And so far, after 10 years of marriage (plus a couple more years living in sin before that) I must admit that we've never had electrical issues, other than lightbulb replacements, which, if push comes to shove, I can pretty much handle on my own.

And today, as I stood in front of these girls and tried to make this topic look easy and simple (so as NOT to generate too too many questions), I made no attempt to dress it up as a sexy subject. I told them this was going to be a little bit boring, but that we'd all make it through and the faster the better.

They probably thought I was concerned with THEIR feelings, when really I just can't wait until we hit more interesting topics.

Or at least more familiar ones.

But as luck would have it, I have survived and managed to deepen my own understanding of the whole thing.

What do you know? The headlines could read "Teacher deepens own understanding of subject by teaching".

And if this blog was discovered by school administration, the following headline would read "Fake teacher looking for another job after using class time to learn what she was teaching".

My Photo

About me

  • I'm Lolita
  • From Canada
  • Challenges... don't we all love a good challenge? University, married life, a mortgage, kids, keeping my sanity while we cruise through life at 100 MPH... why not try my hand at teaching for a year. After all, a school year is only 180 days - anyone should be able to survive 180 days, right? Well, I'm about to find out - follow my journey and enjoy my trials and tribulations as I embark in this 180 day rollercoaster ride of teenage hormones and drama, spiked with discipline, homework, exams and surprises I'm sure...
My profile

Check this out

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates