« Home | Day 58: Cooking class: how to insert backbone into... » | Day 57- part 2: Abracadabra - I want to reach out... » | Day 57 - part 1 : The illusion » | The week-end is almost over... » | Day 54 and 55: I'm a corrections officer - just cl... » | Day 53: Class council » | Day 52: The sound of the drill is driving me nuts! » | Day 51: Looks like I'll be damned... » | Day 50: My brain is mush and my heart won't go for... » | Day 49: A Tim Bit to lift their spirit » 

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 

Day 59: Fiascos and triumphs - all in day's work

The girls have been working on a tobacco project - some were assigned the making of a scientific posters while other had to shoot a commercial (anti-tobacco of course).

Well, one class (you'll never guess which one) had several technical fiascos - in one case, they didn't even bother to switch what they filmed onto anything - they had the camera plugged to the TV to show their commercial. Something kept NOT WORKING and it took 3-4 tries and about 20 minutes for it to work (keep in mind it's only 1 minute long). Another team's video had sound which was so bad you could not make out what they were saying - and because they filmed YESTERDAY in the snow, the glare was so bad no faces could be made out either. Some of the girls had their video in a format requiring them to use a computer and a projector. For some reason the computer kept rebooting. I was not impressed with their technical check PRIOR to their presentation...

Moving right along to another class, with different problems (ever heard of team members not pulling their weight - and lo-and-behold, it's the morning you have to hang the poster for everyone to see, and SOMEONE FORGOT TO PRINT THEIR PART). I can't even fathom that with almost 5 weeks to put this together, some were still counting on this morning, THIS morning, to finalize it. Anyhow, the 3 other teams with commercials did brilliantly - no tech mishap, no weird format or cam hook-up. And cool commercials to boot!

Tomorrow, my 2 other classes are strutting their anti-tobacco messages and I know it will go well. Simply because in these two groups, it ALWAYS goes smoothly. Knock on wood of course...

I also continue to be amazed at the last-minute work done by these kids. I gave students 10 weeks to complete a project, yet four of them (AP level) decided it wasn't worth the 150 points.

And others, you could tell they did it the night before. Maybe it's me, but I always got it out of the way ASAP. I hated having things on a to-do list that weren't completed.

Post a Comment
My Photo

About me

  • I'm Lolita
  • From Canada
  • Challenges... don't we all love a good challenge? University, married life, a mortgage, kids, keeping my sanity while we cruise through life at 100 MPH... why not try my hand at teaching for a year. After all, a school year is only 180 days - anyone should be able to survive 180 days, right? Well, I'm about to find out - follow my journey and enjoy my trials and tribulations as I embark in this 180 day rollercoaster ride of teenage hormones and drama, spiked with discipline, homework, exams and surprises I'm sure...
My profile

Check this out

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates