« Home | Day 1: Ped Day (which I learned stands for "Pretty... » | The Day After Tomorrow... » | Who's your daddy? » | 10 years ago, we took the plunge (and the water wa... » | What a klutz! » | I slept with a new man last night » | He's 9 going on 16 » | He blew so well! » | it's about to explode » | Sold to the man from Connecticut! » 

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 

Day 2: What teachers do all night (and you'll be surprised....)

So today was an easy Day 2 since I spent about 30 minutes only with three groups of students. I did roll call, handed out the biology course outline and talked about myself a little - three things I can do very well. My strategy is to get them to like me. Somehow.

I was amazed at the level of detail you need to feed the students. If you mention that a binder will make their lives easier, then they want to know what size (1 or 2 inches?), how many index separators are required, if they will be allowed to write on the handouts I'll be distributing throughout the year. I could have mentioned a preferred color for the binder, I'm sure they would all have gotten just that color. I could get used to this kind of power...
My last 8 years of school were university and so I'm thinking like a university student, not a high school teacher. I wonder why that is...hmmm... maybe simply because I AM NOT A REAL TEACHER!!!

I got further proof of this unfortunate fact when two teachers were discussing how little sleep they got last night:

Teacher A: "I got two hours of sleep last night. You would think this is my first day teaching - I've been at it for 25 years and I just could NOT sleep."

Teacher B: "Don't worry about it - it's like that for me every year since I started... I tossed and turned all night."

What I did NOT add to this conversation was that I slept like a log (us people with kids do not use the expression "like a baby" because then we couldn't complain about the sleepless nights, now could we?). I don't want to stand out too much.

After doing my "thing" in the third class this morning, I overhead one girl say to another as they were leaving the classroom "I like her" - and I'm thinking she may have been referring to me...

My Photo

About me

  • I'm Lolita
  • From Canada
  • Challenges... don't we all love a good challenge? University, married life, a mortgage, kids, keeping my sanity while we cruise through life at 100 MPH... why not try my hand at teaching for a year. After all, a school year is only 180 days - anyone should be able to survive 180 days, right? Well, I'm about to find out - follow my journey and enjoy my trials and tribulations as I embark in this 180 day rollercoaster ride of teenage hormones and drama, spiked with discipline, homework, exams and surprises I'm sure...
My profile

Check this out

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates