« Home | The Day After Tomorrow... » | Who's your daddy? » | 10 years ago, we took the plunge (and the water wa... » | What a klutz! » | I slept with a new man last night » | He's 9 going on 16 » | He blew so well! » | it's about to explode » | Sold to the man from Connecticut! » | Speechless... » 

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 

Day 1: Ped Day (which I learned stands for "Pretty Erratic Discussions")



Well, today was an easy day to survive since it was a day with NO kids. I always thought ped days were simply days off - but teachers actually have to show up and "work" on those days.

I've worked in some cool places since I graduated from Engineering school 10 years ago. I've always been in the business-corporate-let's-make-some-money-to-survive world and suddenly, I find myself listening to teachers debate about whether to fine ($1)those students who leave their books (dictionaries mainly)at school over the summer... Same discussion every year apparently... A few short months ago, I was trying to fix timelines and budgets because the FDA wanted a small change to a clinical oncology protocol - this "small" change had repercussions in the $1M range for a certain project I was managing. Did I drive in to work on a different planet this morning? Will I be able to survive 20 more ped days and be genuinely concerned about these students matters? Will I miss the boardroom discussions and challenges I am so used to?

Tomorrow is not a real day. It's the back-to-school half day - complete with a corn roast and all. I do have to be in class at 8:30AM though but since I only have 1 hour with two differents groups, I will simply introduce myself and have the kids complete a short form I've put together.

I can imagine all the REAL teachers out there laughing at me as they read this, but that's the great thing about internet - I CAN'T SEE YOU LAUGH AT ME!!!
So, in this form, I ask the kids to tell me their favourite color, TV show, music, sport, restaurant, hobby and school subject. I'm thinking (these are my inexperienced-naive-I-can-do-it-all positive thoughts) that I will be able to include their interests and favorite things in my lectures and projects somehow.

After I'm done with school, we are bringing my dad's boat to a different yatch club, where it will be hoisted out of the water and hauled away to Connecticut to its new owner...

My Photo

About me

  • I'm Lolita
  • From Canada
  • Challenges... don't we all love a good challenge? University, married life, a mortgage, kids, keeping my sanity while we cruise through life at 100 MPH... why not try my hand at teaching for a year. After all, a school year is only 180 days - anyone should be able to survive 180 days, right? Well, I'm about to find out - follow my journey and enjoy my trials and tribulations as I embark in this 180 day rollercoaster ride of teenage hormones and drama, spiked with discipline, homework, exams and surprises I'm sure...
My profile

Check this out

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates