« Home | Day 50: My brain is mush and my heart won't go for... » | Day 49: A Tim Bit to lift their spirit » | Day 48: A series of miscellaneous events... » | Day 47: Dangerous Curves... » | Bad hair = bad post » | Bad hair month » | World First: Surgery to separate the heart from th... » | And so Lolita was born at 9:00PM... » | Day 46: The early bird gets the worm » | Day 45: A new trick with the treats... » 

Sunday, November 06, 2005 

Day 51: Looks like I'll be damned...

Day 51 was only 2 days ago - but now I see the value in posting every day rather than taking a little break from blogging and trying to remember memorable events that happened more than 48 hours ago...

Since it was a test day, it was a rather easy one - of course hell follows shortly after when I have 100+ tests to correct.

I decided to make this one an easy one - I still need to calculate this to be sure, but I think 90% of the marks were questions taken straight out of the quizzes or the exercises we did in class.

I quickly corrected some questions and am flabergasted to see that some students didn't even manage to get those right.

I just don't understand kids who don't study. I don't get it, I can't imagine why they would choose to have a bad mark over cracking the books a little.

So all week-end I've been racking my brains to figure out yet another way to make them study - it seems for some the 12-page biology homework did not really make a difference. I'll have to look at everything closely - analyze the marks and their owners - and find a way.

A way for them to have good marks AND know their stuff.

I just won't lower my standards to meet the lazy ones - they each have a body, and I'll be damned if they don't understand how it works!!!

Stay with it!

Don't get discouraged....And good for you for not lowering your standards to help the lazy students. When you lower your standards, you hurt all the students.... Hang in there..

I'm with you on the studying thing. Even AP kids don't study sometimes.

For a quiz last week, I had them download 19 vocabulary terms from the book website. The quiz would have questions on only those items.

Six out of fourteen managed to fail. In an AP class!

If I did that as a kid, my folks would've had a few things to say. That's half the problem; not enough reinforcement at home.

P.S. No twins - they're just really close in age!

Post a Comment
My Photo

About me

  • I'm Lolita
  • From Canada
  • Challenges... don't we all love a good challenge? University, married life, a mortgage, kids, keeping my sanity while we cruise through life at 100 MPH... why not try my hand at teaching for a year. After all, a school year is only 180 days - anyone should be able to survive 180 days, right? Well, I'm about to find out - follow my journey and enjoy my trials and tribulations as I embark in this 180 day rollercoaster ride of teenage hormones and drama, spiked with discipline, homework, exams and surprises I'm sure...
My profile

Check this out

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates