« Home | Day 7: 26 large coffees and a stun gun please » | Day 6: "So you DON'T have a teaching degree? Aaaaw... » | Back to school night » | Day 5: Easy Mondays... » | Where the hell is the "OFF" button??? And I would... » | Day 4: Whose line is it anyway? » | Day 3: My feet hurt and I'm tired. » | Day 2: What teachers do all night (and you'll be s... » | Day 1: Ped Day (which I learned stands for "Pretty... » | The Day After Tomorrow... » 

Thursday, September 01, 2005 

Day 8: The proof is in the pudding


Well, so far all is well in teacher world.

Tomorrow is Friday and one of my classes has their first technology test so I get to sit there and watch them sweat it out. I suppose I'll be thinking of my (well, THEIR!)upcoming biology test questions and even getting some of MY work done while they are writing away.

It's not easy to write test questions. My last school years were in engineering school - the norm was one midterm and one final exam so a lot of material was covered in each exam, and typically the teacher would make it as hard as possible, just to see us squirm. Most brains and calculators ended up overheating in the process, and everyone was in dire need of a cold beer as soon as the test was over, regardless of the time of day. I must admit, some were in dire need of a beer BEFORE the test as well... Hmmm... what does that say about engineering students?

I find all my questions on tomorrow's test easy - the answers are (in my opinion) obvious. I suppose we'll see whether that is true once I start correcting. I get to take out the red pen, and be a real teacher - you can improvise a class, you can lead kids (and even yourself!) into believing you know what you're talking about, you can find great material on internet to get them interested in your course, but you just can't fake correction. "The proof is in the pudding".

My Photo

About me

  • I'm Lolita
  • From Canada
  • Challenges... don't we all love a good challenge? University, married life, a mortgage, kids, keeping my sanity while we cruise through life at 100 MPH... why not try my hand at teaching for a year. After all, a school year is only 180 days - anyone should be able to survive 180 days, right? Well, I'm about to find out - follow my journey and enjoy my trials and tribulations as I embark in this 180 day rollercoaster ride of teenage hormones and drama, spiked with discipline, homework, exams and surprises I'm sure...
My profile

Check this out

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates