« Home | Day 24: More lemons please! » | Day 23 - part 2: He's laughing at me - and I don't... » | Day 23: The devil is in the details (and in some o... » | TV Night » | Day 22: 10 things I learned this week... » | Day 21: The big skeleton in my closet... » | Day 20: How to torture the teacher - this group de... » | Day 19: What can I do with the Mexicans? » | Day 18: Keeping this blog a secret... » | Day 17: Finding the answer in your sleep » 

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 

Day 25: Less is more : the win-win strategy


I often learn from watching (some may argue it's "spying") other teachers. I like to look at how they prepare their courses, what they bring in class, how easily they either get worked up or dismiss student behaviors...

That's how I came about today's lecture plan:
* First, finish up the material ASAP
* Then, have them complete everything related to that chapter in the biology workbook for the rest of the period while I sit back and work on my own stuff.

This is what I like to think of as the "less is more" concept - I do less talking, they do more work, and I get to prepare the material that needs to be covered in the next few lectures during class time.

I'm now re-learning all about our respiratory system (to better tell them all about it) while they are quietly (or at least semi-quietly) working on the digestive system, preparing for the upcoming test.

In my beloved corporate world, some may refer to this as a win-win strategy...

There are serious discipline issues I need to think about - I am not good at stopping the useless yapping during the lectures and their behaviour is driving me mad. I'll be thinking about that tonite, as I get to bed.

I better think fast though because my brain is shutting down for the evening...

My Photo

About me

  • I'm Lolita
  • From Canada
  • Challenges... don't we all love a good challenge? University, married life, a mortgage, kids, keeping my sanity while we cruise through life at 100 MPH... why not try my hand at teaching for a year. After all, a school year is only 180 days - anyone should be able to survive 180 days, right? Well, I'm about to find out - follow my journey and enjoy my trials and tribulations as I embark in this 180 day rollercoaster ride of teenage hormones and drama, spiked with discipline, homework, exams and surprises I'm sure...
My profile

Check this out

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates