« Home 

Monday, August 01, 2005 

180 days: Before and After

Well, this is it... I'm armed with a keyboard and a new blog, ready to share my experience with all of the world, or at least those who'll care to read it.

180 days as a grade 9 teacher.

Nothing spectacular about that at first glance - thousands of people around the world, in all those countries lucky enough to have mandatory schooling, are actually grade 9 teachers showing up in classrooms and sharing their knowledge with some patience, a large dose of discipline and all the cool teaching methods they learned when they completed their Teaching Degree. And that's where my experience will be unique - or at least my perspective of it all - I am NOT a teacher, I did NOT complete a Teacher's degree, and I have never stepped into a classroom in a teaching capacity. Biology, and Technology are the grade 9 subjects I'll be teaching, as well as running a computer workshop for the 8-graders.

How did this happen? Is the director of that high school crazy to turn over these kids to me? Well, in her defense, here's a bit of my background which has led her to believe I can actually pull this off, and even do a good job to get these kids excited about science.

I'm one of those weirdos who loves school - I completed my first university degree in May 1991 - a bachelor of Biochemistry. In September 1992, after working, buying my first car and gathering some money, I started another degree, Chemical Engineering, which I completed in 1996. To add to the academic challenge, I married in 1995 and decided to have my first child before finishing school so that I could enter the workforce without constantly thinking of that biological clock business... Thus, I was big as a house when I wrote my 7th semester exams, and had the cutest 3-month old boy to look after during my 8th and last semester of engineering school. Challenges such as these are what make life fun, right? I started working when my son turned 1.

Fast forward to February 2005, we now have three kids - my twin girls were born in 2002 and have re-defined the word "challenge". I'm a Project Manager in a biotech company, I absolutely LOVE my job and my co-workers, and BOOM!!! Some investors decide to pull the plug, take their money and run elsewhere with it - and almost everyone is laid off. A good friend of mine mentions that there is an opening for a science teacher - a one-year replacement - where she teaches. This happens to be the school we both went to from Grade 1 to Grade 11, a private, all-girls, nun-run school.

A couple of phone calls later, there I was, faced with a big decision: to be or not to be a teacher for a year...

My Photo

About me

  • I'm Lolita
  • From Canada
  • Challenges... don't we all love a good challenge? University, married life, a mortgage, kids, keeping my sanity while we cruise through life at 100 MPH... why not try my hand at teaching for a year. After all, a school year is only 180 days - anyone should be able to survive 180 days, right? Well, I'm about to find out - follow my journey and enjoy my trials and tribulations as I embark in this 180 day rollercoaster ride of teenage hormones and drama, spiked with discipline, homework, exams and surprises I'm sure...
My profile

Previous posts

Check this out

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates